Sunday, March 1, 2009

So, we had Saturday night all to ourselves! Junior had been invited to a sleepover and it seemed foolish not to take advantage of the free babysitter situation on offer.Tempting as it was to put on my p.j's and snuggle up for a movie, I had to remind myself that I'm not retired yet. So I made an effort, dragged my lazy butt off the sofa, pulled on a new sweater, squirted some perfume and off we trotted to the pub. It was D.J night at the Raven, and after half a jug of beer and a few slices of tiger prawn pizza the evening started to take on  quite a romantic slant. We held hands and talked about life, laughed and listened to the music. The evening ticked by and we got a little smoochy, a little like teenagers on a first date! Wow, why don't we do this more often?? we wondered. All too soon, it was late and we started thinking about heading home. Hubby paid the bill and I prepared to gather up my things (gloves, umbrella, scarf, bag, coat, glasses, pen.... jeez!!! what is WRONG with me??why can't I take a chance like a normal person?) I looked up, hubby WAS GONE! What The...! Now don't get me wrong, I'm a very independent person, I can wallpaper a ceiling for crying out loud! But being abandoned in a full public house after a (I thought) glowingly romantic evening didn't sit well with me. I was really put out! I found JP waiting outside in the car park. 'Where did you go??" I asked. "You just left me!" I whined "I just looked round and you where gone!!"
"what's the problem, you knew it was time to go" he explained. "Yes, but you didn't even help me with my coat, you left me standing there like an idiot..." He didn't get it, why was I upset? He doesn't usually put my coat on for me, I am quite capable of getting dressed by myself... But I was upset, maybe it was the beer messing with my hormones but I expected to be treated like a date, I felt like a date, I smelt like a date and I sure as hell didn't appreciate being left in a crowded pub as if I'd been dumped!! By now we were walking back towards home and JP tried to take my hand. I don't think so matey!! Not until you apologize and beg my forgiveness you blithering eejit. Boy was I mad. I'd bore him a child for cripes sake! The least he could do was treat me like a princess in full view of the other pub patrons. He got all huffy and we walked side by side instead of arm in arm. He was not worthy of holding my hand! I already had my ammo ready for the bedroom scene later. It included the use of phrases such as " You have to be kidding!!!' "you've got some nerve" "not tonite Josephine..." and " I might have said Yes if you'd helped me on with my coat!!". (ouch, that'd show him!!). 
" I don't know why you're mad" he huffed, " It's not a big deal". 
Not a big deal, not a big deal! " We're not students you know, we're not 12 years old...you should know by now how to treat your woman, and that's the thing. I'm not one of the boys and I don't expect to be treated like one. I mean, did you forget that I'm a woman!!!?"
That's when he stopped and looked at me sheepishly with a stupid grin on his face. " No, Sue, to be totally honest, I am a bit drunk. I didn't forget that you were a woman at all. Actually, I forgot that you were there!!!" And that is when we both fell about laughing and laughed our way home. I was still chuckling when I got into bed. nite nite!

1 comment:

roseygirl said...

I think it is a Man Thing, I had what I call a Date night with my Hubby last night.... Lets see we went to Richards on Richards to see some of his Heavy Metal Bands!, and he got ticked at me because I put in Ear Plugs!... I wonder what he will do in Oct when we go see DAVID CASSIDY for my Birthday?? LOL!