Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I'm writing this blog so early ! Honestly, I was awake at 5.15a.m!!! No, I'm not up early to catch a plane or go out running before I go to work! Nothing so adventurous! I just had a good nights sleep and woke up early. Think I must be turning into one of those little old ladies who rises at dawn to feed the cat ( you know the kind - "here's your dinner Timmy, half for you, half for mummy...") Actually, judging by some of the things I've been doing lately, I may have already 'tuned'! Yesterday I went to make a phone call at work and I picked up the calculator and began 'dialing' the number! Then, last night, I turned on the upstairs light (from downstairs) ran upstairs, thought "Doh! someone's left the light on!" and turned it off!!!! Help! Talking of 'little old ladies', I went to the new library last night (where's the link ? you say... well, isn't the library full of little old ladies, shuffling round on their zimmers, trying to burn off the last of the cat food so they will have room for their Meals on Wheels dinner..) Anyway, as usual, I digress. The thing I wanted to say was WOW!! have you seen the new technology down at the library. They have this "self check out' set up. I was trying to figure it out. I had a stack of books ( no, I'm not hinting at my literary expertise - they were mostly French kids books for 'sonny boy' ). I put these books down on this large flat area next to the monitor while I read the instructions. Well, next thing is, the titles from the ten books appeared on the screen as 'checked out' ready for taking !! What the.. How did it DO that ?? the books were stacked on on top of each other!!! How did the machine read the barcodes vertically ??? I was flabbergasted ... seriously, my gast has never been so flabbered! It was magic -like a scene from Harry Potter and the Library of Secrets!   If you look at the security footage from the library, you will see me looking at the books, then back at the screen, then scratching my head with my jaw hanging open. I sort of felt like I was on candid camera! It was so cool. I mean, I can still remember doing all my homework at the library using Micro fiche and the drawers with all the Dewey index cards in! Now I do sound old! Isn't technology AWESOME? Maybe the day when you can press a book to you forehead and absorb it instantaneously isn't too far way ( come on, admit it, you've thought of this too when you've been cramming for a an exam at the last minute haven't you !?I'm not crazy!) And talking of crazy, really, do I look crazy? I'll tell you why I'm asking. The other day there was a knock on my door. It was one of the neighbours kids. He had his friend with him. He'd come to ask if I would let his friend borrow a PENKNIFE so they could play "whittling" in the forest. Apparently, he had one but his friend didn't!!! Oh, that's O.K then, of course he could use ....NO!!!  "Oh sure, little boy I've never met before, here's my knife. Feel free to go off into the forest and chop off your extremities with MY KNIFE! Oh. and when your mum asks where you got the knife, don't forget to tell her it was the CRAZY woman up the street who lent it to you!" Jeez! Kids today! What's the world coming to?? Wait a minute, isn't that something an old person would say???

1 comment:

mom said...

just testing to see if this comment thing works!